Monday, June 21, 2010

Technology-Help or Hinderance?

1st interview, my grandmother


What was the most sophisticated piece of technology in your house when you were young?
Probably the wireless radio, the AWA.
What do you thinkof the internet in general?
Its a pretty good thing I guess, theres a bit of a bad side of it though. All these chat rooms where creeps try to talk up kids and all that, it can be pretty dangerous. It gets used for the wrong reasons sometimes.
What do you think of social networking?
Same sorta thing I guess. It can be good for talking to friends and keeping up with them but it also gets abused.
Do you think it would have some kind of impact on kids' social skills?
Yeah, I'd say so. Its no good talking to people like that, you should talk to people in real life, not over the internet.
What did you think the first time you saw a computer?
I thought it was amazing! I thought it was incredible that something like that could be made. I never thought I'd live to see it.
Did you think the same of mobile phones?
Yeah, never thought I'd ever see one.
Considering the age we live in, do you think that all young people should know a fair bit about computers?
Yeah, they should. You're growing up with them and all that and they're used a lot too.
Do you think that technology is a help or a hinderance?
Both I'd say. It depends on what technology you're talking about and how its being used.

2nd interview, my friend Patrick.

What do you think is the most sophisticated piece of technology in your house?
Dunno, probably the computer or the TV. Yeah, I'd go with the computer, thats probably about as technology gets in the average household.
What do you think of the internet in general?
Its kinda weird that something like that even exists when you think about it. But it is pretty cool, it can be pretty dodgy sometimes too though.
What do you think of social networking?
Its pretty awesome, you can't spend too much time on it though. You've gotta spend some time in the real world.
Do you think it impacts kids' social skills?
Yeah definitely. You have to talk to people face-to-face.
When did you get your first computer? In the house I mean.
Probably when I was about 8 or 9.
When did you get your first mobile phone?
When I was 13, it was pretty awesome.
Considering the age we live in, do you think all young people should know a fair amount about computers?
Yeah I'd say so. They're a pretty big part of life nowadays.
Do you think technology is a help or a hinderance?
A bit of both, depends on what technology and how its being applied and where and why. If its going to lose people their jobs its definitely a hinderance.

No comments:

Post a Comment